CIVIL LITIGATION RESOURCES FOR CHILD TRAFFICKING VICTIMS
Trafficking Survivors, including children, likely have substantial civil claims for money damages. All Trafficking Survivors should be given the opportunity to consult with an experienced civil litigation attorney about their potential claims for relief.
- Civil Litigation on Behalf of Victims of Human Trafficking. Kathleen Kim, Lawyers Committee on Civil Rights and Daniel Warner, Worker’s Rights Law Center – Comprehensive manual on civil litigation on behalf of trafficked persons discussing logistical concerns, procedure, causes of action, and damages.
- Child Trafficking Survivors: Civil Rights and Legislation – Kathleen Kim, Lawyers Committee on Civil Rights – Powerpoint presentation discussing criminal case advocacy, immigration assistance, civil remedies, family law, civil rights and legislation relevant to child trafficking survivors.
SAMPLE COURT DOCUMENTS
- Court Default Judgment for Trafficking Claims
- Memorandum of Law For Default Judgment
- Sample Complaint 1-Trafficking
- Sample Complaint 2-Trafficking
- Global Alliance Against Traffic in Women. (GAATW). (2007). Material Justice. Seeking Compensation in Trafficking Cases. 84 p. – Examines essential aspect of justice in cases of human rights violations – the right to compensation: “As victims of serious violations of their human rights and a serious crime, trafficked persons are entitled to be compensated for the losses they have suffered. Almost certainly, the compensation should cover material losses sustained by the person – including unpaid wages, overtime, health and medical costs and the cost of bringing the case to trial. Ideally, compensation should also be awarded for non-material loss, such as pain and suffering, although this will depend on the particular justice system”:
- ABA Commission on Domestic Violence Quarterly E-Newsletter: Civil Remedies and Other Relief in Seeking Justice for Victims of Domestic Violence and Human Trafficking – Describes human trafficking, available legal services, applicable law pertaining to and rights and remedies of of human trafficking victims.
- “Florida Responds to Human Trafficking” Manual – While mostly specific to Florida’s response to human trafficking, the manual includes a section on remedies and relief which could be useful as guidance in other states as well.
- ABA Commission on Domestic Violence Quarterly E-Newsletter: Practice Tips for Attorneys Representing Victims of Domestic Violence and Trafficking – Tips for attorneys providing legal services to domestic violence victims who may also be trafficking survivors.
- ABA Enterprise Fund National Leadership and Training for Civil Legal Assistance to Victims of Human Trafficking – ABA site with comprehensive legal resources on human trafficking
- Victim Assistance Fact Sheet – Overview of assistance and programs available to victims of human trafficking, with specific section on child victims.