IDENTIFICATION AND PRACTITIONER TRAINING MATERIALS
IDENTIFICATION TRAINING MATERIALS
- Guidance for Identifying a Child Victim of Trafficking – Checklist and questions to help identify when a minor is the victim of trafficking.
- Fact Sheet: Child Victims of Human Trafficking – Describes signs of trafficking exhibited by child trafficking victims, including physical and mental symptoms.
PRACTITIONER TRAINING MATERIALS FOR LEGAL SERVICE PROVIDERS
- Identifying and Serving Survivors Powerpoint; Identifying and Serving Survivors Powerpoint Short Version – Comprehensive presentation outlining the problem of child trafficking, tools for identification, and legal remedies available to minor victims of trafficking.
Handouts for Legal Practitioner Training
- Guidelines for Child Victims and Child Witnesses – Describes legal rights of victims and child witnesses in court proceedings, including responsibilities of U.S. Attorneys and strategies for protecting and supporting a child in court proceedings.
- Eligibility for Benefits for Minor Victims of Trafficking – Details the right to eligibility letters granting access to benefits for minor victims of trafficking, including financial and other support.
- Factsheet: SB 1569 Legal Access to Benefits – Explains California Senate Bill 1569, which allows access to benefits for victims of trafficking, and its eligibility requirements.
- Routes to Benefits – Describes the different ways by which a minor victim of trafficking may establish eligibility for refugee benefits.
- Repatriation of Trafficked Minors – Describes precautions and procedures to protect a minor who wishes to be repatriated to their home country in order to ensure the minor’s safety and well being.
PRACTITIONER TRAINING MATERIALS FOR PUBLIC DEFENDERS
- Child Trafficking Identification and Training for Public Defenders – Comprehensive powerpoint describing the problem of child trafficking, the legal standards defining trafficking and the sanctions for traffickers, and the immigration consequences of criminal convictions.
Handouts for Public Defender Training
- Immigration Consequences of Juvenile Dispositions and Adult Transfer – Explains the need for criminal attorneys to consider the immigration consequences of criminal convictions of juvenile dispositions, which qualify as a conviction for immigration purposes if a youth is transferred to adult court. Discusses the need for criminal defense attorneys to explain the consequences of a plea agreement or conviction as they often lead to deportation.
- Immigration Consequences of Junvenile Convictions – Detailed discussion of the immigration consequences of juvenile convictions and the precautions that should be taken by Public Defenders in representing immigrants.
PRACTITIONER TRAINING MATERIALS FOR SOCIAL SERVICE PROVIDERS
- Child Trafficking Training for Social Service Providers – Comprehensive powerpoint presentation outlining the problem of child trafficking, how social service providers can identify trafficked minors and help them access social benefits.
Handouts for Social Service Providers
- Services Available to Child Victims of Trafficking – Describes social services available to minor victims of human trafficking.
- Understanding and Responding to the Psychological Needs of Trafficked Children – Discusses the psychological impact of trafficking on minors and specific services required.
- The Impact of Human Trafficking on Children – Article discussing the impact of human trafficking on minors and the need for a psychological response.
- Domestic and Sexual Violence Advocates Handbook on Human Trafficking – Discusses how domestic and sexual violence advocates can identify victims of sex trafficking and help them access resources.
PRACTITIONER TRAINING MATERIALS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT
The following guides describe how law enforcement can investigate, identify, and respond to human trafficking.
- The Crime of Human Trafficking: A Law Enforcement Guide to Identification and Investigation – Comprehensive guide for law enforcement on how to identify human trafficking victims, distinguish human trafficking from other crimes, and investigate cases of human trafficking.
- The Exploitation of Trafficked Women – Problem-oriented guide for law enforcement on exploitation of trafficked women. Summarizes knowledge about how police can reduce the harm caused by specific crime and disorder problems. Provides information on prevention and improving overall response to incidents, not to investigating offenses or handling specific incidents.
- Department of Labor Trafficking in Persons Guide – In this guide, the Department of Labor discusses the legal remedies and services available to victims of trafficking, including the right to work legally within the United States.